Being curious and trying new things for the experience is normal for children when growing up. Growing up we may see older kids in school smoke cigarettes or our parents or siblings drinking alcohol so it’s natural to want to try these things.
Until we are 18 or 21 we can’t legally consume alcohol or buy a pack of cigarettes so most of us either steal, have someone older purchase something for us or try products that are intended for medicinal purposes.
DXM is an OTC Cough Syrup That is Abused
These medicines, called over the counter (OTC) medicines, are easiest to access by adolescents. Many OTC drugs are intended to aid in decreasing colds, coughs, or pain, but if large enough amounts are taken, they can produce a “high” or lead to intoxication. Because the “high” is something desirable, it can become a repeated thing, which then can become an addiction. Many OTC drugs that are abused by kids are cough syrups with dextromethorphan (DXM) in them, and getting high on DXM is very dangerous because it can lead to an overdose.
Dextromethorphan, also called DXM, is the active ingredient in many coughs and cold medicines such as Robitussin, Dimetapp, and Mucinex DM. When you use it as directed on the product, the drug is safe and effective. But when you take it in large amounts it can cause psychedelic effects similar to those of ecstasy, Ketamine, or PCP. Taking large amounts of DXM, enough to get you high is known as robotripping. Robotripping can cause a lot of physical and psychological effects that can become life-threatening and may require immediate medical attention.
DMX Cough Syrup Addiction Effects
The recommended safe dosages for the use of DXM vary between 15 mg and 30 mg taken within four hours. If taken more according to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) reports that there are four levels or plateaus of abuse that occur with DXM. In the most recent release of its analysis of the effects of DXM abuse, the DEA listed DXM as a “drug of concern.” The four plateaus of abuse listed by the DEA include:
- The first plateau: The most basic level of abuse occurs when individuals take between 100 mg and 200 mg. The DEA reports that dosages at this level result in feelings of stimulation.
- The second plateau: The next plateau occurs when individuals take dosages between 200 mg and 400 mg. The most common effects of using the drug in this dosage range are visual hallucinations and euphoria.
- The third plateau: The third plateau occurs at dosage levels between 300 mg and 600 mg. Individuals taking DXM at this level will experience hallucinations, euphoria, significant perceptual distortions of objects in the visual field, and significantly impaired motor functioning and coordination.
- The fourth plateau: The effects at this plateau occur in individuals who take more than 600 mg of DXM. The effects include extreme sedation, hallucinations, and dissociative effects. Dissociative effects occur in individuals who have experiences where they feel that they are leaving their body or that things around them are not real.
People can accidentally or, if taking it to get high, intentionally overdose on DXM when ingesting a large amount of the drug. The risk of dangerous effects may be worse since many cold and cough medicine with DXM contain additional drugs such as acetaminophen, pseudoephedrine, and a variety of antihistamines.
The signs of a dextromethorphan overdose can vary from person to person, but often include:
- Bluish-colored fingernails
- Breathing problems
- Blurry vision
- Elevated heart rate
- Muscle twitching
- Nausea or vomiting
Get Help for Your Drug Addiction
If you or you suspect a loved one is addicted to dextromethorphan, we at Allure Detox can help. We are a comfortable and evidence-based drug and alcohol detox in West Palm Beach, Florida. We can free you or your loved one from the physical symptoms of addiction and start you on the path to recovery.
We offer detox from drugs and alcohol on a medical basis so that you can safely resume the life you once lived, the life you thought was lost forever. Addicts emerge from Allure Detox healthy, sane, and prepared for a lifetime of recovery. Please contact us today if you or someone you love is suffering the pain of addiction.